Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nitpicky Observations

Used to buy the NY Post every day just for the Page Six celebrity gossip, you could stop reading right there because the sports section was yesterdays news, always a day behind. A few weeks ago I checked out www.nypost.com and lo and behold, all the gossip news and pics I'd been yearning for, and for free! Which brings me to my first observation, what is up with Matthew Brodericks sideburns??? If you haven't seen them, it's a must.
As most of you know, The Ocean Star is my bible. I read every article word for word, with the exception of anything writted by that Adam guy, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get through the paper without balling it up and tossing it into the recycle bin (think green)! I enjoy reading an article from beginning to end, whoever is laying out the copy for this newspaper has some stories jumping through 3 different sections and pages. I understand a full in-depth story can't be entirely placed on the front page, but come on, 3 different sections!!! I'm definately going to have to write my first ever letter to the editor. It's been along time since my names been in the paper, I'll have to put this on my list of things to do.
This next one isn't too nitpicky. Local politicians, in most instances you have to love them. They give freely of their time, are often put in no win situations and in 95% of the cases they are honestly doing what they think is in the best interest of the town. I laugh when local politicians consider themselves staunch republicans or democrats, leave that nonsense at the state and national levels and just do what's right by your neighbors. We have a local comcast channel that is supposed to broadcast community events and town meetings and such. Why are the council meetings of Pt Beach & Pt Boro not broadcast on this channel? It doesn't have to be a live event, broadcast it the next day, just don't edit it. Boro councilwoman Susan Rodgers is holding these public meetings boasting that she is reaching out to the people. Let's get these meetings televised and I'll bet the turnout for council meetings would triple and the letters to the editor would do the same. I've been reading with interest the public pissing contest that's been taking place between Ms. Rodgers and the PBA. Ms. Rodgers, I can guarentee you if you asked me informally to take a 5 day furlough from my job to help balance your budget, I would scream NO WAY! It would be anyones typical reaction. To go public with the accusations you made against the PBA was irresponsible. A simple apology would go along way to mending fences and making progress in future negotiations. Your refusal to do so has me and many others questioning your character. Working nights, damned economy, has kept me away from town meetings and getting them televised would make me a much more educated citizen and would make for some captivating t.v.
Expanding on the character issue, the Beach voters got exactly what they bargained for when they pulled the levers in the past election. You elected to Mayor a very educated man who thinks the one who shouts the loudest wins the debate. His tunnel vision on raising revenue for the town has cost the council valuable time which should have been spent cutting expenses and searching for grants. As any longtime resident will tell you, the parking problem is here to stay. Under Mayor Pasolas and Mayor Vogels leadership along with Chief Depolo's outstanding police force, quality of life has never been better east of the tracks. The proposals put on the table regarding the police budget is a huge step in the wrong direction. Asking the boardwalk owners to do any more is just plain unfair, they took the risk opening their businesses, now they're to be blamed for the towns fiscal irresponsibility. What are you going to do the next time you need a new ambulance or a place to hold yet another political fundraiser. The boardwalk owners may not be there during your next financial crisis.
Lastly, the youngest member of the Beach Town Council seems to have some very serious character flaws, chief among them is forgetfulness. Honesty and integrity are two of the prerequisites for holding an elected office. After asking around I discovered some serious inconsistencies in this young mans character. Did anyone on the screening committee for candidates check out his resume? Or was that swept under the table in the name of special interest groups? How did this young man secure his job and progress so nicely in the salary department? Friends in high places I suppose, but at the taxpayers expense. As Coach Don Fioretti always said, "There's only 1 rule on this team, do the right thing and you can't go wrong." Our High School coaches taught us alot but this is the one I live by, do you???

No comments:

Post a Comment